Thursday, August 26, 2010

Ready for a Hike


I thought it would be a fun first day for my mom and Aunt Terry to get to take in some of the beauty of O'ahu.  We started our day by heading to the Makapu'u Lighthouse Trail for a nice hike.  I had the double stroller ready to go so I could get the girls up the mountain.  Riley, of course, insisted on walking for the first half of the hike, so  pushing Hadley wasn't too strenuous up the mountain.  Once Riley made it up the first two hills she was plum tuckered out.  I put her in the stroller and started pushing both of the girls.  Good golly, it was no easy task.  I was pushing over 50 pounds up a mountain in flip flops.  Oh yes, I decided that I would be fine hiking the trail in flip flops.  Trey is normally the one to push the stroller so I didn't really grasp how difficult it would be to push the girls up the mountain while in flip flops.  I made it about three quarters up and then let Kiki take over.  Phew, what a relief that was!  I did feel bad watching my mom push the girls up the last part of the trail, but she insisted she was fine.  So who was I to argue with that?



Aunt Terry claimed the whole way up that she would push the stroller on the way down to help out.  But since it was her first excursion on an outdoor adventure since her foot came out of her boot, I didn't think it would be a very good idea for her to strain herself trying to get the stroller down the mountain.  Not to mention I thought pushing the girls down would be a breezed.  After enjoying the gorgeous views from the top of the trail we headed back down.  I quickly realized pushing the stroller down wasn't so easy.  I think it may have been more difficult than pushing up hill.  The incline was so steep I had to hold onto the stroller with all of my might so it wouldn't drag me down the mountain!  When we reached the last hill I, once again, let Kiki take over.  This mama needed a break before my arms fell off.  I did enjoy the hike and it was completely refreshing to me.  Every time I hike that trail I am reminded of how lucky I am to be living in such a beautiful place.  

No comments: