Monday, August 16, 2010

Operation Tough Love

I was truly blessed with Riley when she was an infant because she consistently slept through the night.  I was completely spoiled by her awesome sleep habits.  Then came my adorable little Hadley, who also had a great sleeping habit.  From the time she got home from the hospital she only woke up once a night to eat and then by about 2 months was sleeping through the night.  Once again, I am spoiled with getting my sleep while having babies.  That all ended a couple of months ago.  Ever since Hadley started teething she has been getting up constantly throughout the night.  Some nights I would be up every half hour trying to rock her back to sleep.  I never wanted to just let her cry because I was so afraid that she'd wake up Riley.  Well yesterday I had enough of getting up during the night.  For the past week I have only been getting about 4 hours of sleep a night and that just isn't enough for me to function on.  And it's not even 4 hours in a row, it's a total of 4 hours which is even worse.  I decided that since Hadley was sleep through the night for the past 4 or 5 months that she can do it again! Operation Tough Love went into action last night.  I decided that if and when she woke up that I was just going to let her cry herself back to sleep.  This is never an easy thing for me to do.  I did do it with Riley when she was younger and would wake up in the middle of the night so I thought it might work with Hadley too.  

Hadley woke up last night around midnight.  She started crying and I just turned the monitor down and rolled over and tried to ignore the cries.  She cried for about a half hour and fell back to sleep.  Then she woke up at 4am again and this time only cried for about 15 minutes before she fell back to sleep.  Hadley woke up for the day at 6am.  Ahhhh, mission accomplished.  She managed to put herself back to sleep while allowing me to not get out of bed! I did find it funny that she only woke up twice last night when all of the other nights she's up at least 4 times.   I can't even tell you how refreshed I feel today having had a full night of sleep.  The best part of this operation is that Hadley didn't wake up Riley!  Hooray!  I just hope and pray that this can continue because mama bear needs her sleep. 

I had to post these pictures because I thought they were adorable.  We have a bunch of pillows on the floor blocking Hadley(aka Miss I like to get into everything) from getting back to the cable wires and sockets.  Hadley's new thing is to crawl over to the pillows, lay down, and sprawl out!  



Isn't she just living the life?

1 comment:

Sara said...

Way to go! It's hard to let them cry but the results are good. Teaching her to fall back asleep without your help will help her sleep better overall! I'm so glad she did well and I bet it continues.