Friday, August 27, 2010

North Shore for the Day

The second adventure I decided to take my lovely visitors on was to the North Shore.  We headed to Waimea Valley to walk through the botanical garden and see the waterfall.  I fell in love with this place when we took Toni & BJ.  I find it to be such a peaceful place.  The natural beauty is just breathtaking and pictures definitely don't do it justice.  The smell in the air and the sounds around you make you feel like you are in a tropical heaven.  At least to me they do!  Riley didn't want to ride in the stroller on the walk to the waterfall and insisted on stopping at every little area that you could see a creek or pond or whatever else might have been tickling her fancy.  

I'm positive that Aunt Terry and my mom were feeling the same way as I was while we were walking through Waimea Valley.  It was nice to be doing this today because we were pretty much in the shade of trees for the entire walk which was well needed after our entire day in the sun yesterday.  My face was super burned(the first time in my 2 years of living in HI that I've been burned) and my moms back was torched.  The shaded walk was our friend!  And the beautiful surroundings made us forget about our pain.  When we made it to the waterfall Riley remembered last time when she got to swim in the water and was asking for her life vest.  Unfortunately it had been raining last night and this morning so there was limited swimming.  The waterfall was really massive from the rain and the pool was pretty high.  Aunt Terry, mom & I all opted not to jump in today.  It's really only worth it if you can swim out to the fall, but that wasn't allowed today.  No biggie for any of us.  Just seeing the waterfall made us all happy.
I definitely wouldn't want to be standing under all of that water power!

On our walk back Riley was running around acting like she was a bird flying, thanks to the game Kiki invented for her, and took a big spill and scraped both of her knees.  The waterworks were rolling.  The fact that she was bleeding didn't help the situation and of course I didn't have any band-aids in my diaper bag.  We are rushing to get out of there so we can get Riley's knees cleaned up when all of the sudden a nice down pour starts falling on us.  Riley's cries got even louder because she doesn't like to get wet from the rain.  (Don't ask.)  So we completely covered her with a beach towel which seemed to settle my little angry monster.  We hit up the gift shop on the way out and Kiki bought Riley some band-aids to calm her from her fall.  It was definitely time for lunch!  I was hungry and losing my patience quickly.  Cholo's here we come!

No comments: