Monday, March 1, 2010

Tsunami Scare

It was 6am and the alarms sounded across the entire island. I can't even describe to you the feeling I had when I heard the alarm. Completely freaked out! I watched the news Friday night before bed and heard about a possible tsunami, but they didn't make a fuss about it so I didn't really think anything of it. That definitely changed when the alarms sounded. I called my mom and she said she was just about to call me. The coverage on CNN of the tsunami warning was making everyone nervous. We went with our neighbors up to higher elevation to Tripler Hospital. I mean we had no idea what was going to happen. And we weren't the only crazy people up there. There were hundreds of people there with tents and chairs and radios. We were just joining in on the fun!

Here is Riley totally calm and relaxed, wondering what the heck we are doing!! And little Hadley passed out in the tent!


A shot of our neighbors that we went with. We enjoyed a lovely picnic lunch together as we waited for the tsunami to hit.

At 11am the alarms sounded again. Okay, now I'm totally freaking out hearing that scary sound again. And yet nothing happened. At around 2pm the tsunami warning was cancelled. All of the freaking out what for nothing. We packed up camp and headed home. I was completely exhausted from all of the worrying. I'm glad that nothing happened, but now I'm thinking next time nobody will pay attention and something probably will happen. We were living by the motto: better safe than sorry!

No comments: