Saturday, July 24, 2010

Diamond Head

Sunday, we tackled something that I definitely wanted to do before we left the island, Diamond Head.  We have never attempted it because it's really not the most child friendly trail to go on.  There is absolutely no shade and it's quite a hike with kids.  But this is something that Toni wanted to do while she was here, so we got everyone packed up and headed to Diamond Head.  Diamond Head is said to be the most famous volcanic crater in the world.  Diamond Head is a volcano that has been extinct for 150,000 years. The crater is 3,520 feet in diameter with a 760-foot summit.  The trail is paved the entire way but can be steep in spots. I had read that there are two set of stairs, one with 99 steps and the other, 76 steps. Let me tell you, there are more than just two sets of stairs. There is also a 225-foot unlit tunnel.  By the time I got out of the dark tunnel I thought I was going to pass out.  Note to self: next time bring a flashlight so you don't get dizzy from walking uphill in the dark! 

Okay, so BJ carried Harry in the Baby Bjorn and I carried Hadley in the Baby Bjorn.  Toni carried a backpack with some water, because Lord knows we were going to need it.  Trey was in charge of Riley who wanted to walk, but we knew she wasn't going to make it the whole way.  Trey and I were slowed down a bit with Riley's pace, but with me carrying Hadley I wasn't too upset with Riley's pace.  I was super proud of Riley who walked up the first set of stairs.  I'm pretty sure it was the set with 76 steps, but I wasn't counting.  I was praying that I had the strength to make it up with the extra 20 pounds strapped to the front of me.  I don't think it helped that we didn't start the hike until 1 o'clock in the afternoon.  Hello heat!  Next time I'll be there bright and early!  The hike was well worth all the pain and sweat.  The views were breathtaking!  It was so pretty up there that I wasn't sure I wanted to come back down.  The hike down was much easier than the hike up.  I had to feed Hadley once we had gotten to the top of Diamond Head.  Then she fell asleep so I just carried her in my arms on the way down.  Trey had put our exhausted Riley in the Baby Bjorn to get her down safely.  Riley was much too big for that thing, but she was also much too tired to hike back down.  Riley hiked about half way up and Trey carried her the other half.  It was a great experience and I'm glad we got to do it with some of our best friends.

2 comments:

Elyse said...

So glad you guys did this...Joe and I did the hike when we were there and the view is breathtaking! We didn't have kids with us though, so major bonus points for that one!

Terry said...

Save some energy, 29 days and a wake up.
XOXO.