Sunday, May 23, 2010

Injured Girl

I don't know if you can tell in these pictures that I'm posting, but Riley has a scraped right nostril, bruised nose, and a bruised right eye.  The picture here on the right shows the scraped nose and you can notice her right eye is swollen.  I guess you are wondering what happened.  Honestly, I am too!  We were all outside playing yesterday evening after dinner.  Trey was riding Riley around on the quad and she was happy as could be.  Our neighbors kids were out riding on their dirt bikes too.  I walked to the mailbox to check the mail and then walked into the garage to put the mail down.  All of the sudden I hear an awful scream that I recognize to be Riley's.  Literally a second later Trey comes rushing in with Riley and goes directly into the house.  Riley is screaming and I have no idea whats going on.  I was thinking Trey flipped the four wheeler or something.  I followed them inside to find out what was going on.  But before Trey could tell me I saw blood coming from Riley's nose and my heart was just racing.  Trey told me that Corben, our 4 yr. old neighbor, had knocked Riley over and drove over her on his dirt bike.  This was not on purpose, he is a sweet little boy.  Apparently Riley got off of the quad with Trey and wanted to just run around.  She does know not to run infront of the bikes when the boys are riding them.  Corben tends to ride and turn his head to look anywhere but infront of him.  I'm guessing that's what happened and this time he ran into and over my daughter.  I thought her foot might have been broken because she couldn't stand on it.  But Trey checked it out and turned her ankle around and pushed on her foot and it didn't bother her.  Riley finally started walking a little while later but she was limping really badly.  We decided to wait until the morning to see how she was walking.  If she was still limping I was going to take her to the doctor. 
When she first woke up this morning she was still limping pretty good.  So I was monitoring her all morning.  Riley began to walk normal and then started to run around.  Her ankle and foot weren't swollen so I'm thinking she was just bruised and sore.  I am so thankful that she wasn't seriously injured.  She still has a black eyelid today but her nose isn't quite as black and blue.  Riley is definitely a trooper.  Trey and I have definitely implemented the rule that Riley will no longer be playing outside if the boys are riding their dirtbikes.  I don't need anything worse to happen to either of my girls.

2 comments:

Terry said...

The 1st major accident is always the scariest... I am sure there will be plenty more to come, but none as she is carrying our water up Koko.
XOXOXO

Unknown said...

Quads and dirtbikes...the perfect combo for kids.