Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Accident

Last night was like any other night.  My mom and I took the girls down to the park after dinner.  Trey rode down to the park on his dirt bike, as usual.  We were all heading up to the house because it was getting dark and close to bath time.  Riley was throwing a fit because she didn't want to come inside yet.  As I'm trying to get her into the house I heard a funky noise come from around the corner.  I thought Trey's chain came off of his dirt bike.  That's what it sounded like to me anyway.  So I didn't think anything of it.  I focused on getting Riley inside.  Once the girls were inside I left them in there with Kiki and walked back outside to check on Trey.  I see him pushing his dirt bike towards the house with a smirk on his face.  Then I looked down and saw him limping.  Once Trey got closer to me I saw that he was bleeding and his ankle was completely swollen.  I knew it was time for the ER.  Wonderful!  Trey was pulling a wheelie on his bike and went too far back and fell off.  The bike fell on top of his leg and the peg of the bike gashed into his ankle.  Nice, right?  
It was time for the girls to get their baths and go to bed.  I told Trey that either he could wait for me to get the girls down to bed to go to the ER or my my could drive him up to the hospital and then I would come up after I got the girls down.  Now I would've let my mom put the girls to bed, but Hadley still eats a little before bed and since she won't take a bottle I'm required at bedtime.  So my mom drove Trey up to Tripler and came back about an hour later.  Both of the girls were asleep so I headed up to the hospital.  He had been x-rayed and found out he had fractured his ankle.  But the doctors were more concerned about the open wound and it possibly getting infected.  Trey got some morphine to help ease the pain, but it didn't help too much.  Then he had about ten injections around the wound to numb the area.  I seriously thought I was going to vomit watching that take place.  I got all hot and sweaty, as if I was the patient or something.  Once the are was numb the doctor was poking around in the wound and Trey was in serious pain.  I'll spare you the rest of the details of examining his wound because it's making me nauseous just thinking about it.  Fast forward two hours...the news was in that Trey would have to have surgery because the joint was exposed and the doctors wanted to clean out his wound completely.  So Trey sent me home to be with the girls when the woke up in the morning because there wasn't anything more I could do for him while he was in surgery.  I got home around midnight and my mom was waiting up for me.  I told her what was going on and she couldn't believe it.  I could barely sleep last night thinking about my poor husband having to go through surgery.  Lord help me!

6 comments:

Sara said...

That is the most ridiculous reason to have an injury. I think the dirt bike can go in the next yard sale. Beside that, and since I know everything went fine...I'm sorry you had to deal with your invalid husband again.

Rachel said...

I don't know that I would consider my husband invalid. I'm a little taken back by that comment. As for the dirt bike needing to be sold, that's only in my dreams. He loves his toy!

Sara said...

the definition of invalid is a patient or sick person.

Terry said...

Trey has never been patient, but I'll give you sick.
XOXO,

Rachel said...

Just so everyone knows...I totally read invalid as IN-valid. I'm losing brain cells by the day. So sorry Sara!!

Sara said...

My brain is all gone. Bella took half and Addie took the other. Nothing left for me!!!