Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Potty Training

And so it begins.  For about the past two weeks I've started to introduce the potty to Riley.  The first step taken was to put her in pull-ups instead of her regular diaper.  Phew, that was a hassle and a half.  Riley wanted nothing to do with the pull-ups.  And when I say nothing, I really mean NOTHING!!  I wasn't even putting her on the potty yet, just trying to get her use to wearing something similar to underwear.  Everytime I'd go to change her diaper(pull-up) she'd scream bloody murder when I'd try to put a new one on.  It was awful.  I just thought to myself that Riley is definitely not ready for this potty training thing. 

Just a couple of days ago Riley has come to like her pull-ups.  She even takes them off and puts them on herself.  To me this was a major milestone in the potty training adventure.  Riley even wipes herself during the diaper change and then throws the wipe in the toilet.  But she still wasn't wanting to sit on the potty.

Last night Riley was a big girl and actually sat on the potty.  About a minute later she was ready to get off!  She didn't go potty, but the fact that she was willing to sit on the potty was yet another milestone to me!!  Trey and I told her what a good girl she was for doing that.  Trey shared some ice cream with her as a reward!  Of course now she'll probably go sit on the potty, get off and want some treats!  I figure she'll go pee on the potty when she's ready.  I'm not going to push it.  It's a gradual process and I think Riley is doing great thus far!! 

1 comment:

Sara said...

Time for a sticker chart. Good job for Riley! It's a long process but don't push it. The more we pushed with Addie the more she pushed back! Good luck, she's going to get it on her own time. But so wonderful only have one in diapers I hope it happens for you sooner rather than later.