Monday, June 14, 2010

Free Trial

Trey and I both agreed that we needed to sign Riley up for some sort of activity where she could play with other kids her age.  Especially because her good friend Elyse moved and her other friends are in California for the summer staying with their grandparents.  I know Riley has to be sick of just playing with momma, dada and sister!  I did some research on the internet to find some places I could take her for gymnastics.  I decided to take her to the one closest to our house, Hawaiian Island Twisters.  They have a parent/tot class for kids ages 1-3.  I thought with the energy that Riley has and all the jumping and summersaults she does around the house that gymnastics would be perfect for her.  We went this morning for a free trial class.  It was really nice because it was a small class.  Riley was excited to go play. 

The class started with a little song and dance.  We did the "Hokie Pokie" and "Heads, Shoulders, Knees & Toes."  Riley just stood there with her arms crossed and stared at everyone else like they were crazy.  By the time the songs were done Hadley was screaming in the stroller so I had to go grab her and hold her for the rest of the class which was a little bit distracting for me because I couldn't interact with Riley like I would've liked to.  Once Hadley calmed down Riley ran and jumped in the ball pit with lots of excitement.  Then I finally got her out of the ball pit, which was no easy task, and onto the balance beam.  Then she crawled through a tunnel and ran back to the ball pit!  It was time to go into another room to jump on a trampoline so I had to drag Riley out of the ball pit once again!  Riley enjoyed jumping on the trampoline and did very well with waiting her turn.  Then the kids got to swing on a rope.  Riley wanted nothing to do with the rope.  She was being very shy today around everyone.  It takes a little bit for Riley to warm up to new people which surprises me with her outgoing personality.  By the end of the class she was warming up to everyone including Coach Melissa who Riley wouldn't let touch her in the beginning!  There was a huge foam pit for the kids to jump into.  Riley kept jumping up and down, but wouldn't jump into the pit.  So I gave her a nice nudge into the foam pit.  Once she was in there she loved it.  Riley gets to start her session on June 28th and she'll get to go every Monday morning.  I'm sure she'll get more active and social once she gets to know everyone.  I'm looking forward to our Monday morning fun with gymnastics class!

5 comments:

Sara said...

I definitely want to do this for Adelaide too. It's so great you could have a try first before signing up. Sounds like it was a hit.

Terry said...

You are so funny, "a little nudge".
After a morning like that my adjectives would have read a little differently.
XOXO

Unknown said...

I like that she's doing the Hokie Pokie. Tell her she can do that every weekend at Virginia Tech.

千惠千惠 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elyse said...

I agree with Justin...start her early on the Hokie Pokie! Way to go Mom!!!