Thursday, May 31, 2012

Never Fails

Yesterday we packed up everyone in the Jeep and headed out to the Bellows to spend time at the beach.  The girls have been dying to go to the beach, and that is definitely something I'm not attempting alone with three little ones.  On the way to the beach we drove through some rain, and the clouds weren't looking promising.  Once we pulled up and got unloaded the skies were perfect.  I was nervous on our drive there, but we lucked out!  

I sprayed Riley with sunscreen and then off she went, running down to the water.  Then I sprayed Hadley and Emrey down.  I was attempting to take a picture of Riley by the water when I heard her scream and start running towards me.  I knew by the scream what was wrong.  She got stung by a man of war jellyfish.  Those suckers are nasty.  I know this because almost every time we are at the Bellows I always manage to get stung.  It's a burn that you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.  I walked Riley down to the lifeguard to have him spray her finger, but that wasn't calming her down.  The lifeguard told me to take her to the showers and run hot water over her finger for five minutes to kill the stingers from the man of war.  I convinced Riley to let me take her to the showers( she had been refusing to go) and the showers were closed.  The water in the sink was barely warm.  I took my still screaming Riley back to our blanket and sat her down.  She said she was getting hungry so I pulled out her lunchable and she calmed down.  I felt so helpless in the situation.  I know how badly it hurts and she just had to brave through the sting.  It seriously never fails for one of us(normally me) to get stung there.  

We were very careful for the rest of the afternoon by the water.  Madeleine must have pulled out six man of wars from the water while we were there.  They must have heard we were coming!  After Riley had lunch and calmed down it was a great day.  We managed to stay for 3.5 hours.  That's a long time for us.  Normally there is some type of meltdown that requires us to pack up quickly.  Every one was having a fun time.  Hadley finally made it down to the water and didn't want to leave.  The water was quite chilly at first, but I warmed up to it quickly.  Hadley on the other hand had blue lips.  She still didn't want to get out of the water!

Madeleine got all the beach stuff packed up while I got the girls rinsed off and changed out of their wet and sandy suits.  It didn't take long for the girls to pass out on the ride home.  They were all zonked from a fun day at the beach.

Madeleine wrapped Emrey up in a scarf because she didn't want her to be cold.  I said the girls are use to traveling in the Jeep with no windows in the warm Hawaiian weather.  Poor Emrey looks like she's from Pakistan!  I don't even think she knew it was on her head.  


Once everyone was bathed and cleaned up,  we ordered pizza for dinner.  After a day at the beach I definitely don't have the energy for making a meal.  Madeleine had planned a "neon pizza party" for the girls anyway, so this was the perfect time.  She brought the girls silly headbands, neon necklaces, and cups that light up and blink.  The girls were entertained.  It was a fun day!
Can you tell I forgot sunscreen on my face.  I think next time I should do my sunscreen before the kids so that I don't forget!  

No comments: