Thursday, October 21, 2010

Scariest Moment of My Life, Thus Far!

I'd like to think of myself as a mom that doesn't make too many mistakes.  Sure my children have rolled off the couch, banged their heads on corners of tables, gotten a bloody lip or two, but I haven't let anything too awful happen to them.  

I ran out to run some errands this morning, nothing too out of the ordinary.  When we got home I parked my Tahoe in the garage, turned the car off, and went to get the girls out of the car.  I always leave my door open until both of the girls are out of the car, don't know why I do, but I do.  I get Riley out and then walk around to the other side of the Tahoe to grab Hadley.  As I reach for the door handle on Hadley's side I hear a click.  The click you hear when the doors lock.  I see through the window that Riley had shut my door.  I still try to open Hadley's door, but it's locked.  My heart sank into my stomach.  Now normally it wouldn't be an issue because I could just grab the spare set of keys in the garage.  Except the spare key was inside the center console locked in the Tahoe.  I took a deep breath and ran down to my neighbor Derel, who praise the Lord was home, and told him I had Hadley locked inside of the car.  Within a few moments he came down with some contraptions to try and get the doors unlocked.  I was pretty calm and just trying to play peek-a-boo with Hadley through the window.  After about 10 minutes Hadley had enough of being locked in the car.  She just started crying and then crying louder.  My heart was breaking.  Then in the midst of this I look over at Riley and see that she wet her pants.  Normally when she has an accident she cries and tells me, but not today.  Riley was more concerned about Hadley and me.  Riley asked me, "you gonna be alright momma?"  I told her everything was going to be ok and got her changed real quick and had her color inside while Derel kept on trying to unlock the doors.  Of course the keys were still in the ignition so when Derel would push the unlock button it wouldn't work.  The car just kept on locking.  I began to get sick to my stomach at that point.  I had called a locksmith, but they were going to be 20-30 minutes.  I was scared that wasn't quick enough.  I suggested to Derel to try and unlock the door with the manual latch.  He didn't think that he'd be able to maneuver his tool that way.  Thankfully he was able to and got the door unlocked.  Hallelujah!  Hadley had been in the car for about 30 minutes.  I think it was the longest 30 minutes of both of our lives.  She was fine, but I couldn't stop hugging and kissing her.  Hadley stopped crying the second she was in my arms.  Me on the other hand, I'm still getting upset thinking about the situation.  I guess I could have just busted the window open, but I didn't want glass flying everywhere and potentially cutting Hadley.  I am so grateful to Derel for getting the door unlocked.  I snapped a shot of my sweaty beast a few minutes after we got inside.  My poor baby.  Oh and by the way, Hadley is 11 months old today!  

2 comments:

Sara said...

So scary Rachel. I am so glad your neighbor was there! Sounds like you were very level headed and calm. Awesome job. I'm so glad Hadley is just fine.

Terry said...

By the look on Hadley's face she seems no worse for wear, you on the other hand....
No Fun!!