Friday, April 22, 2011

Happy 3rd Birthday, Riley!!!

Today my first born turned 3.  I can't even believe how fast the three years have gone.  It's as if I blink my eyes and another year passes that quickly.  Unfortunately the stomach bug has hit our home.  Yesterday, Riley was sick.  She was running a fever and throwing up.  She slept for most of the day and I was hoping the bug would be gone for her birthday.  I didn't want my poor baby girl to be sick on her special day!  I woke up in the early morning hours sick as a dog.  I was on the toilet with my head in a trashcan.  Not a fun start to the day.  Every time I'd get sick I would drink some water afterwards to prevent dehydration, but it just came right back out.  Trey insisted that I go to the hospital so they could give me some IV fluid.  At 4:30am I was headed to the hospital.  I was given two bags of IV fluid and some medicine to help with my nausea and vomiting.  I felt like death.  

I got home around 8:30am and wished Riley a Happy Birthday.  Luckily, Riley was feeling completely normal and was over her stomach bug.  She told me that it wasn't her birthday until she had cake.  The last thing I felt like doing was baking a cake.  I felt so guilty that it was Riley's birthday and all I wanted to do was sleep. Trey took Riley out and got her some balloons which made her super duper happy.  Then Trey gathered up Riley's birthday presents and we had her open her gifts to get her in the birthday spirit.  She had a blast opening up her gifts.  She was excited about everything.  I must say that I won with one of the favorite gifts, a flashlight!  Riley has been obsessed with flashlights for some reason or another and I picked her out a really cute flower flashlight made by Melissa & Doug, which she loved!  One of the other gifts she got was the movie Tangled(thanks Kiki & Po).  So I put in the movie and we sat down together to watch.  We never saw the movie but Riley saw commercials and always said she wanted to see it.  It was a really cute movie and we both enjoyed it.  Kiki & Po also got Riley something she'd been asking for, Harry Potter.  So we watched that next.  Well, Riley watched and I took a nap!  

After our little movie marathon Riley politely asked if we could make her cake.  Despite the fact that I barely had enough energy to stand, I got up and let her help me make her birthday cake.  I mean, how could I not bake her a cake on her birthday.  My mom had sent a butterfly pan because that is the type of cake Riley requested.  I was planning on decorating the cake very nicely.  I was going to put different candy on each wing and just be creative.  However, today just wasn't a day where I could be creative.  Riley was lucky that I colored the icing pink so she could have a pretty pink butterfly cake!  I'm pretty sure it's the worst job I've ever done icing a cake, but it was the best I could do.  The poor butterfly was pretty pitiful looking, but Riley still liked it and that's all that matters!

We sang Happy Birthday and my shy girl hid her face from us.  It was only Trey, Hadley and myself so I'm not sure why she was hiding.  Riley is definitely getting more and more shy these days.  Riley blew out her candle and was ready for her cake and ice cream.  Despite the poor look of the cake, it tasted good.  Riley and Hadley were both in heaven eating their cake and ice cream.  


 Happy 3rd Birthday Sweet Riley!!!!!
I asked Hadley to give me a smile and this is what I got!

3 comments:

Terry said...

OMG!!! Is Riley really 3?
You are amazing.

XOXO,

Sara said...

3 is such a great year. Riley is going to be so much fun this year. Being a 3 year old has so many perks. Happy Birthday!!! I love the cake.

The Gunning Family said...

Happy Birthday, Riley! Maybe flashlights are a three-year-old thing - Ezio carrys one with him everywhere! Hope everyone is feeling better.