Thursday, April 28, 2011

3 Year Doctor Visit

I took Riley in yesterday for her 3 year check up.  I wasn't really too worried about anything, especially because I knew she wouldn't have to get any vaccinations for this visit.  Riley's name gets called and we walk to the back to have her weighed and measured.  I asked her to take off her shoes and step on the scale and she burst into tears.  I tried to calm her down and told her it was just like our scale at home and we just needed to see how much she weighed.  She loves stepping on the scale at home, it's like a game to her.  Riley was having no part of stepping on the scale.  Therefore I had to pick her up and put her on the baby scale.  So we finally manage to get her weight and now it was time for her to just stand up against the wall to see how tall she is.  Well that wasn't happening either.  Riley kept falling down to the ground and was screaming bloody murder.  You seriously would have thought the girl was being tortured.  I was so embarrassed.  So I had to get down on my knees(which isn't easy for me to do) and pin her against the wall.  It was terrible.  And to make matters worse, Hadley was crying every time Riley started screaming because that's just what Hadley does.  Anytime Hadley hears anybody cry she'll start to cry too.  Once the nurse gets Riley's height measured she walks us back to our room so we can wait to see the doctor.  A couple of seconds later the nurse comes back in because she forgot to take Riley's temperature.  We decided to take Hadley's temperature first so Riley could see that it was easy.  Riley allowed her temperature to be taken without a fight, praise the Lord!  Apparently at age 3 they start taking blood pressure, but that didn't happen this time.  The nurse didn't even attempt to with the way that Riley had been acting.  When the doctor came in Riley didn't become any more cooperative than she had already been.  Lovely.  Thank goodness Riley is an overall healthy kid, because taking her to the doctors isn't fun at all.  I was seriously ready for a caramel apple martini after that visit.  I settled for a decaf caramel frapp from Starbucks!  The good news is that Riley is growing and is healthy!  She weighs 32.5 lbs and is 39 in tall.  She is in the 50% for weight and 75-90% for height.  I'm just hoping I don't have to take her back to the doctor until she's 4!!

1 comment:

Terry said...

If it's any consolation, I still cry when I get weighed at the Doctors.
XOXO