Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Hospitalized

As many of you already know, Trey is in the hospital. It all started Saturday evening. Trey decided he'd go with our neighbor to the grocery store to help me out. This is huge because he hates going to the grocery store. He won't even go with me, so the fact he was going shopping for me was a big deal! While he was at the store he started to feel short of breath and had pains in his chest. He got home and came inside and just laid on the floor in pain. I thought he was having an anxiety attack or something and was actually mad at him because I had to unload all of the groceries. As soon as all the groceries were out of the car Trey immediately took himself to the ER. They took x-rays, put him on a ventilator for a bit, and then sent him home with some steroids and pain killers. He was told if he still felt bad tomorrow to come back. But the doctor told him that the pain was from his lungs rubbing against his ribs or some bologna excuse like that. Trey came home and when he came to bed he was still having issues breathing. I asked if he wanted to go back to the ER, but he said he was fine and he didn't want to wake Riley.

Sunday morning Riley and I woke up and went downstairs as usual. We had breakfast and watched cartoons. Trey came down about an hour later and seemed to be feeling better although he was short of breath a little after walking down the stairs. His phone rang about 20 minutes later and it was a doctor from the ER telling him they found something on his x-ray and he needed to come back to the hospital. At that point I knew something was wrong. I quickly went upstairs, got dressed, got Riley dressed and then we all headed to the hospital. After waiting for over an hour a doctor finally came in to tell us that Trey had a neumo thorax, a collapsed lung. My heart dropped. I felt like such a bad wife being mad at him the night before for not unloading the groceries and me having to do it. My poor husband really had something wrong with him! The doctor explained that he was going to have a chest tube put in for about 5-7 days to help inflate his lung. This will work to fix the problem about 60% of the time. So once we got that information I took Riley home to take a nap and feed her lunch. She had been such a trooper being in the ER with us for 3 hours. I called my neighbor Erika to see if she could watch Riley while I went back to the hospital to be with Trey. By the time I got back to the hospital Trey was still in the ER, but they had already put the tube in his chest. I felt so bad that I wasn't there for him. The nurses told me that he did a good job though.

It's now time for Trey to get to his hospital room and into a comfy bed instead of those lousy ER beds. We get to his room only to find that it's 4 patients to a room. Yes, I said 4!! Holy tamoly I thought Trey was going to lose it. He said he'd never last 7 days in the room. My poor husband had to share this room with 3 other men who were all in their 80's. They were coughing, tv's blaring, peeing on the floor. No joke...Trey went for an x-ray and while I was waiting for him a janitor came in to clean a urine spill. I just wanted to go home and take a shower! I'm not sure how patients can get any rest sharing a room with 3 other people. I just tried to keep Trey calm about the situation which is no easy task.

Today is day 3 in the hospital and Trey got moved to a new room! Hallelujah!! It's a bigger room but is still set up for 4 patients. However it's only Trey and one other guy who just had hip surgery and is probably in his 50's. Trey was in seventh heaven with his new accommodations. We are hoping that his chest tube will be removed tomorrow. He will then be under 24 hour watch to make sure his lung is doing well. Then hopefully by Thursday we can have him back home. I am one exhausted woman. I've been making 2 trips to the hospital everyday. Once in the morning to take him breakfast and stay with him for a couple of hours. Then I'm back there around 2pm and stay until 6pm and I take him sandwiches, fruit, cookies, etc. for his lunch and dinner. The one good thing is that his room is right down the hallway from labor and delivery so if anything were to happen 5 weeks early for me I'd be in the best place! Keep your fingers crossed that this chest tube works for Trey. I don't want to find out in 2 weeks that his lung collapsed again and have Trey in surgery!

3 comments:

The Gunning Family said...

Holy crap - I had no idea! This is so weird since three of your uncles have a similar problem - spontaneous lung colapse due to cysts! We will be saying out prayers for a speedy recovery and a fully cooked little girl. Love and miss you bunches. Aunt Donna

Marilyn said...

Rachel - I enjoy keeping up with Trey's beautiful family on the Blog and am very truly sorry to hear about Trey being in the hospital! I will keep all of you in my prayers for a full and speedy recovery!!!

Terry said...

Wow!! Now if the girls ever have lung problems you won't know which side of the family to thank. All good jhu-jhu coming your way from the east coast.
Auntie Terry