Saturday, February 21, 2009

Koko Head


So the big mountain you see to the left is called Koko Head mountain. Trey decided we were going to take Mr. Bill here to hike to the top to see a spectacular view. I almost shat my pants when I saw what he wanted me to climb. I'm not what you would call "in shape" if you know what I mean! As we walk to the trail we all see that in order to hike up this mountain you have to climb up old railroad tracks. They were old, rotted wood pieces. I wanted to die after about climbing up 10 of them. Mr. Bill was encouraging me all during our hike unlike my husband who would just yell "let's go."
Above is a shot of Trey and Riley about a quarter of the way up Koko Head. I took this picture during my first rest period. Looking behind Trey you can see how much further we had to hike. I just wanted to turn around but I kept on trudging!

Above and below are some of the great views we got to see on this hike. As you can probably guess I took these during my second, third or fourth rest period. I really can't remember which! I though we were high enough at this point, but I didn't want to disappoint the boys so I caught my breath and kept on climbing.



Oh yes, here is the happy hiking family now. I look like I'm about ready to pass out. Perhaps next time I attempt this hike I'll bring lots of water and not have my monthly friend visiting me!

Please notice the difference between Mr. Bill and myself. He's looking to be in much better shape than me. Those boys were putting me to shame! How embarrassing!

After making it three quarters of the way to the top my foot slipped off one of the tracks and I thought I was going to lose it. I started to have a panic attack, at least I'm guessing that's what it was. I couldn't breathe or catch my breathe. After a few minutes when I got myself back together I yelled up to the guys that I couldn't do it anymore. It reminded me of when I was hiking with Mr. Kev, mom, Uncle Mark and Aunt Judy and she sat down and was crying because she was having a panic attack. Of course this time I was literally hiking straight up a mountain on old wooden train tracks, so it was a bit more scary. Needless to say we didn't make it to the top of Koko Head. But I was proud of myself for pushing my fears to the limit and making it as high as I did. Trey wasn't happy that I didn't go to the top, but oh well. Now I have a goal for the next time we have visitors!
Climbing down the mountain was worse for me I think. It was straight down and I felt like I was going to fall flat on my face. Not to mention my legs felt like jelly! So who wants to come conquer Koko Head with me. Lord knows I need someone other than my husband with me to encourage me up that damn thing!




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, now you're off my list of potential Amazing Race partners.

Terry said...

Rachel,

You know I love a challenge. Count me in.

XOXO,
Terry