Monday, December 1, 2008

The Baby Hui

About 4 months ago, Riley's pediatrician asked me if I was involved with any parenting groups. My answer was of course no. We had only been here for a few weeks and joining a group wasn't even in my thoughts. She recommended a group called The Baby Hui. So I went online and read about their program and decided it would be fun for Riley and I to join a group so we could interact with other moms and babies. Like everything else I seem to want to do we were put on a waiting list. I figured it was worth the wait. After almost 4 months we finally were put into a group! Yeah, it's our turn! Last Monday was our first meeting. It was mostly an introduction session so that we could all get to know each other a little bit. There were about 10 moms which means there were 10 babies. The babies age ranged from 5 months to 10 months. It's hysterical to watch all the babies interact. My girl tended to give attention to the boys and ignore the girls. She's starting way too young chasing after boys!
We meet every Monday morning for 2 hours. This was our second week and we received our notebook that contains a ton of different topics for discussion. After each session we have to read the next topic. It's sort of like a book club based around raising children. The Baby Hui's curriculum is built on the following assumptions: 1. Parenting is the most important and challenging job there is. 2. Parents are their children's first and most important teachers. 3. There are many right ways to be a parent or a child. 4. Parents are the foundation of the family. 5. Getting and giving support is essential for all parents. It's nice to be able to talk to other moms that are facing the same issues, concerns, fears, and joys as me. Due to the fact I'm still not working it's really nice to socialize with adults. It's not that I don't have some friends, but it's great to meet other moms that understand what I'm going through. The group lasts for about 10 weeks, but hopefully we'll keep in touch with the other moms and babies and have play dates! I'm hoping to get some pictures next week. My batteries were dead today!

1 comment:

Terry said...

Chasing boys at her age, I'm so proud. hehe

Kisses, Aunt Terry