Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Adventures in Babysitting


I consider myself a capable woman who can pretty much take on any endevour. However, after this past Sunday I have discovered that I'm not wonder woman, nor should I ever try to be! I thought that I would be nice and extend a helping hand to our neighbor. She had to work and so did her husband so I offered to watch their son, Ethan, who is 3 months old. That's right, I was watching a 3 month old along with my precious 5 month old. I'm not exactly sure what drug I was on when I made this offer, but I promise to stay drug free from now on!

First of all, Ethan seems to always be crying. Even when his mom or dad is holding him, he's constantly fussy. I just figured when he's at our house he's just tired or hungry. Boy was I in for a rude awakening while I had him here. Heather dropped Ethan off around 11am on Sunday. Just as Riley was getting ready to take her nap a knock at the door woke her. Needless to say she wasn't going back to sleep. At first everything was going just fine. The babies were laughing at eachother and I was getting the biggest kick out of wathing them. About 30 minutes later I entered hell! Ethan just started crying, crying, crying. Nothing I did would soothe him. Riley who was just fine began to cry because Ethans' crying was so loud and obnoxious. So I decided Ethan needed a nap and put him down in the pack-n-play upstairs. Riley calmed down as soon as she couldn't hear him anymore. While Ethan was napping I finally got Riley to take a nap. As soon as she was asleep I heard the wonderful screech of Ethan. Oh yes, Mr. Cranky was awake and you better believe he woke up Riley. Just marvelous!

Trey happily left for work and told me to have fun! He definitely wasn't any help! He thought I was crazy to begin with and just to prove his point he called my mom and his mom because he found it amusing to watch me try to juggle two infants! After 5 hours of handling 2 babies I was ready for a caramel apple martini. Too bad I didn't have one, but I sure was ready for one! Ethan definitlety cried about 90% of the time. Riley didn't like that one bit. She's not a crier unless she's tired or hungry. And even then, it's not a bad cry, it's tolerable to listen to. Ethan got picked up around 4:30. I was pleased at the fact that both babies were in good moods at this point. I didn't want Heather to pick up her baby and him be crying. That was my biggest fear! Needless to say, I had all the birth control I needed during those 5 hours. I don't know how people deal with multiples! My mom would've definitely had to quit her job and moved to Hawaii with me, because I'm not so sure I could've handled it! Of course I'm sure it would've been different if they had both been my children. I mean Riley's an angel, so I'm sure if she had a twin he/she would be the same way! Yeah right!

Anyway, Trey realized what a good baby we have. She's got a great tempermant and wonderful personality. We cherish and adore our little love bug! I mean, we can't help but smile everytime we look at her adorable face and chubby little legs. We are blessed!






1 comment:

Terry said...

Come on Rachel, we both know your mom would never leave Twin Enterprises. haha Great read, all I can say is,"better you than me".
XOXO, Auntie Terry