Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Doctor Visit

Well Riley finally had her 2 month "well baby check" today. Yes, I'm highly aware that Riley is now 3 months old. However, due to our move and having to change our insurance and get a new doctor, this was the quickest we could get her an appointment. Anyway...we are only a couple weeks behind! So Trey and I take Riley into the Dr's office and lay her down so she can get measured and weighed. To my astonishment the nurse says, "well she's the first baby to actually smell like a baby." Trey and I looked at eachother wondering what she was talking about. The nurse began telling us how babies come in with all kinds of cat hair/dog hair stuck in between their toes and all in their clothes, and that the babies just smell like animal. So I might be a little late getting Riley to the doctor, but at least my baby smells good!
I am happy to announce that Riley now weighs 15lbs 8oz and is 24 inches long. She is in the 97 percentile with her weight and 75-90 percentile with her height. Both the nurse and doctor informed us that our daughter was well above average! She must get that from Trey, because everyone knows how tiny I was as a little girl. So after we saw the doctor we took Riley down the hall to the immunization room. My poor little baby! I had to hold her while this jackass navy kid gave Riley her two shots. I swear the kid couldn't have been more than 20. So I'm holding Riley and this kid asks me if I'm ready. I just looked at him and asked him if he was ready. What did I have to be ready for...I wasn't adminstering the shot. After the first shot Riley screamed. Then came shot number two and the damn jackass made Riley bleed. I mean it was dripping down her leg. I really don't think that was normal. Of course he tried to tell me it was. Riley let out a scream that I had never heard before. Tears were pouring out of her eyes like waterfalls...and of course they started coming out of mine too! After about 5 minutes she calmed down. Trey got her Tylenol prescription filled and we came home. I don't know who the shots were worse for...Riley or myself. It's heartwrenching to hear your baby cry like that. I'm just glad it's over, at least for the next two months.

1 comment:

Sara said...

What a big healthy girl! I cried for Addie's first shots as well. It's still hard for me to watch her get shots. Seeing your baby in pain is the worst. The first cold, the first cut knee, the first big fall to bump her head. It's no fun. You are a good Mommy Rachel. Riley is beautiful.