Tuesday, May 24, 2011

My Baby Story

Saturday I started having some contractions.  They started out to be rather sporadic and then I started noticing a pattern.  Trey and I went grocery shopping to make sure we were stocked up on food because we knew it was probably our last chance to go before our new little girl arrived.  Kiki stayed at home with the girls while we went shopping.  During our grocery shopping excursion my contractions were growing stronger, but still far apart.  Trey grilled up some yummy chicken for dinner.  I refused to eat pizza for dinner because that's what I ate as my last meal before I went into labor with Riley & Hadley.  I was hoping that by not eating pizza I wouldn't go into labor because Trey's mom, Madeleine, didn't get in until Sunday night and if I went into labor before she came that meant that my mom wouldn't be able to be at the hospital for the birth.  In case you didn't know, my mom was in the delivery room for both Riley & Hadley's birth.  She is awesome at keeping me calm and relaxed, and keeping Trey calm!  Trey isn't a fan of the hospital and doesn't really know how to deal with me being in pain.  Anyway, I thought by not eating pizza that my contractions would remain far apart and I wouldn't go into labor.

After the girls went to bed, Trey, my mom & I sat downstairs and watched some tv together.  We went to bed around 10pm and at that point my contractions were about 30 minutes apart.  I knew that it wasn't going to be much longer before it was time to go to the hospital.  I didn't sleep much because my contractions kept getting stronger and closer together.  I got my iphone out and started using my handy contraction counter application.  It timed my contractions for me and also let me know how far apart they were.  At 2am I woke Trey up and told him that my contractions were 3.5 minutes apart.  He jumped out of bed and said "we got to go to the hospital."  At that moment I realized I didn't have my bag packed.  I had everything laid out, but not in my bag.  I threw everything in real quick, brushed my teeth and my hair and then went downstairs to tell my mom I was in labor.  I think we were all a bit nervous that she wasn't able to go to the hospital with us.  Trey assured her that he'd be able to take care of me.  My mom had an important job though, taking care of my two baby girls!  

We got to the hospital and I definitely arrived in my pajamas!  Trey dropped me off at the door and then went and parked the car.  When he got to the hospital door I told him I need to pee and he told me to hold it because there was another couple right behind him and we needed to beat them up to labor & delivery so that I could get a room first!  So I waddled myself as fast as possible through the huge hospital up to labor and delivery.  We got checked in and then I got to use the potty!  I changed into a lovely hospital gown and waited to be seen by a doctor.  I was keeping my fingers crossed that they wouldn't send me home like they did when I showed up in labor with Hadley.  The doctor checked me and informed me that I was 6cm dilated and I was being admitted.  Wahoo!  It's time to have our third baby girl!  Once I got my room I had to wait about two hours before I could get my epidural.  The anesthesiologist was held up in the operating room.  

Even though I wanted my mom there with me, it was nice to experience labor with just my husband.  Trey did such an awesome job supporting me through my contractions before I got my epidural.  He held my hand and told me how good I was doing.  Trey also said some sweet words to me when we first got into my room.  He told me how much I meant to him and how much he loved me and how his life wouldn't be the same without me.  It made me cry then, just as it is making me tear up right now.  I knew in that moment he'd be able to support me and help me through this delivery.  When it was time to get my epidural I told Trey I needed him to hold my hand because I knew how much it was going to hurt.  Trey grabbed my hand and was a super trooper while I got that big ol' needle in my back.  I was proud of him!  I was definitely in a happy place once the epidural kicked in!

After about 6 hours of labor I was finally dilated to 9cm.  The doctor broke my water and within minutes it was time to push.  Of course Trey had to run and use the restroom as soon as we found out it was time!  While he used the restroom the doctor had me give one little push, just to see how good of a pusher I was.  I gave a little push and she said "Ok, don't push again until your husband comes back out."  I guess that meant I was a good pusher!  Trey came back out and got the pleasure of holding one of my legs for me.  I was so completely numb from the epidural I didn't even know my legs were being touched.  Three pushes later, our beautiful third baby girl was born.  It's just as exciting the third time as it was the first two times.  However, the cord was wrapped around her a little bit so she was slightly on the blue side which made me nervous.  They put her on my chest and I said hello to my new daughter.  And for the first time, Trey cut the umbilical cord!!!  I was super proud of him!  Trey and I have been blessed with another healthy baby girl.  


Introducing Emrey Belle Prewitt:  8lbs 11.8oz, 19.5 in.

Trey went home and picked up the girls and my mom and brought them to the hospital to meet Emrey.  Riley was thrilled to see her new sister.  Hadley was definitely nervous when she saw me.  She didn't want anything to do with me, which broke my heart.  I think she was overwhelmed with the hospital and I was completely  numb so I couldn't move around.  She warmed up to me at the end of her visit, but I could tell she wasn't really too sure what was going on.  I was glad that both of the girls got to meet their new sister.  


2 comments:

Terry said...

What a beautiful post. Brought tears to my eyes, way to go Trey!!
XOXO

The Gunning Family said...

Rachel - so beautiful! Thanks for sharing this, and yes, I am in tears, too!! Emrey is absolutely beautiful. Love you all.