Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Sickness X 3

Last week was just awful.  It started with Hadley who had a horrible cough, she sounded like a seal.  In addition to her cough she had a fever and was throwing up.  Emrey started out with just a runny nose, which then turned into a runny nose & coughing, and then a fever came too.  Next up, Riley!  She started coughing, just a little.  Then a fever came with her too.  Lovely!  I couldn't get a doctors appointment until Friday and it all started on Wednesday.  I was trying my hardest to keep their germs off of me, but with three sick babies that's rather difficult to do.  Especially when all three of them decided to throw up on me, all in the same day.  
By the time I took the girls to their doctors appointments Hadley was starting to feel better.  Her doctor said she was on the road to recovery and she didn't get any medicine.  Emrey was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection.  She got sent home with Motrin and Zyrtec.  Riley had a double ear infection and was put on amoxicillan.  For the first time ever one of my babies had to get an antibiotic.  What??  Almost 4 years of never being sick, and then, BAM!  I was surprised to hear that she had a double ear infection because she didn't once complain about her ears.  I was more concerned with her cough.  


(I know Hadley was sick because she fell asleep on me.  That normally never happens anymore!)

After one dose of Riley's antibiotic, she was feeling herself again.  It was as if a miracle had taken place. She thoroughly enjoyed taking her "pink medicine" as she called it.  Monday rolled around and I was rather distraught at the sight of my sweet Emrey.  She hadn't gotten any better since Friday.  She was actually worse.  She woke up and was totally lethargic.  I was trying to feed her breakfast and she was falling asleep in her highchair.  Then, I sat her down to change her diaper and she just leaned over and fell asleep on my leg.  This was very unlike her.  I called the doctors office and had a nurse call me back.  She told me I should take Emrey to the ER.  That just pushed me over the edge.  I called my mom crying, wishing she was here and not 10,000 miles away.  A few minutes later Emrey's doctor called me.  She said I didn't need to go to the ER, just to bring Emrey in and she'd take another look at her.  Apparently, the nurse had told the doctor that I said Emrey was passing out and becoming unconscious at times.  Nothing like being made to sound like a nut job!  So I took Emrey back in to see the doctor and she put Emrey on amoxicillan too.  Only because she didn't appear to be getting better, but rather worse and we just wanted to kick this respiratory infection in the butt!  
After a day of Emrey's antibiotic she was feeling better.  I could see the light at the end of the tunnel.  After a little more than a week everyone is feeling better.  Thank the Lord!


Hadley passed out in the playroom quite a few times during this sickness.  She was feeling so yucky!  And her voice was so hoarse, it broke my heart.  I didn't get any pitiful looking shots of Riley.  She wasn't sick very long, thankfully!  

1 comment:

Sara said...

Oh my goodness, all our girls were sick at the same time too. It was two weeks ago. It was terrible. I'm glad you are all on the mend though.